Preston Thompson 12 Fret 000
Preston Thompson 12 Fret 000 guitars are based on an exceptional 1929 000 owned by our late friend and mentor Charles Sawtelle. For years before the development of the dreadnought body style, the 12 fret 000 was the largest guitar available. To us, the 12 fret 000 is still one of the most beautiful and aesthetically pleasing guitars ever created. The tone and versatility is unequaled. You can throw all the guitar adjectives at this one: sweet, responsive, loud, woody, lively, etc., and you’d still come up short in the true talents this model processes.
A few of the design features that contribute to the guitar’s sound and playability is the 12 fret neck joint, placing the bridge more in the center of guitar’s lower bout for efficient use of the soundboard. The slotted peg head allows increased string ramp over the nut as the strings wind onto the tuner post centered in the headstock. Both ends of the tuner post are also embedded into the guitar headstock – hence no wasted energy.
This guitar is built with a standard long 25.4” scale length (short scale length can be requested) with red spruce tops as standard but other woods may be substituted if desired.
Thompson 12 Fret 000 guitars are built with the finest woods, materials and craftsmanship to deliver the true vintage tone and playability.
- Top – Adirondack Spruce
- Back & Sides – East Indian Rosewood
- Rosette – 3 Ring 28 Style
- Braces – Adirondack Spruce
- Neck – Mahogany
- Binding/Trim – Grained Ivoroid – Herringbone
- Peghead Overlay – Figured Ebony
- Peghead Inlay – Logo
- Fingerboard – Ebony
- Fingerboard Inlay – Slotted Diamonds & Squares
- Frets – 18% Nickel Silver
- Truss Rod – Adjustable – Single Action
- Bridge – Ebony
- Nut/Saddle – Bone
- Pickguard – Tortise Style
- Bridge Pins – Ivoroid
- Finish – Nitrocellulose/Gloss
- Tuners – Waverly Nickel Tuners
- Strings – Elixir Phosphor Bronze/Light